Credit by Institutional Exam / Course Challenge Exam (CBIE)
EFSC has resumed on-campus testing on a limited based, with safety protocols in place. Credit by Institutional Exam (CBIE) testing, also known as a Course Challenge Exam, is currently available at the Melbourne Campus Assessment Center (MCAC) with seating by appointment only, Monday or Wednesday at 1:30 PM. Review the eligibility requirements and appointment request process below.
Under current EFSC safety protocols, masks are optional and not mandatory at EFSC due to current CDC guidance. No locker space will be provided, so testers should not bring personal items such as wallets, hats and cell phones to the testing centers. Only a photo ID and car keys should be brought to the Assessment Center as all necessary testing supplies are provided.
Eligible students may earn college credit at Eastern Florida through successful completion of a CBIE, a comprehensive course final exam created by EFSC faculty. This option is not available for credit in courses for which CLEP or other national exam mechanisms exist, or for a course that has not been identified as eligible for CBIE. Options are limited to current exam inventory.
Eligibility for students to take a CBIE Exam
- Student may only request an exam based upon the bank of exams that are currently available.
- Student must be currently enrolled and in good academic standing at Eastern Florida.
- Student must be an active degree-seeking student. If exam is requested to satisfy a prerequisite for admission to a limited access program, the program must be listed as a minor on the student’s record.
- Students may be provided the opportunity for CBIE for those courses where accelerated mechanisms have been identified in the course plans and/or otherwise approved by the appropriate cluster chair.
- Student must have completed the residency requirement of 25% of credits for the applicable Eastern Florida degree or certificate.
- Student must be otherwise eligible for enrollment in the course (i.e. has met placement and prerequisite standards, be within the allowable number of course attempts, etc.)
- Student must not be currently enrolled in the course.
- Student must not previously have received a grade of “C” or higher in the course.
- Student must not previously have attempted CBIE for the course.
- Student must have completed the appropriate request form, obtained the appropriate approvals, and paid the appropriate fee.
- Student may attempt the same subject exam only once.
Procedure for student to request CBIE
- Student will contact the office of the Coordinator of Accelerated Learning via email
at firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain the Credit by Institutional Exam / Course Challenge Exam form to petition
for CBIE. Student completes the student section of the form and submits it to the
Coordinator for review. Coordinator will review the request to include:
- The eligibility of student for CBIE
- The eligibility of course for acceleration method
- The availability of exam in current inventory
- If the course and student meet eligibility requirements and a test is available, the Coordinator will complete the form indicating approval to administer the CBIE exam.
- The student must then contact the Director of Testing and Assessment at 321-433-5876 who will schedule the exam and post the $50 EFSC Exam fee and the $30 EFSC Service fee to the student's EFSC account.
In addition to receiving credit by an institutional exam, you may be eligible to earn
credit for prior work experience, other exams, prior college courses or certifications
through Eastern Florida's Life-Experience Acceleration Path (LEAP).
Fill out the form for a LEAP evaluation
Cocoa Campus, Bldg. 2, Rm. 202
1519 Clearlake Rd
Cocoa, FL 32922
Hours: Mon. - Thurs., 8 AM - 5 PM
Email the Registrar's Office: